I’ve talked about my great love of soup in the winter time – both as a healthy, warm meal as well as the perfect candidate for meal prep. This recipe takes advantage of the leftover turkey bones and meat from the Thanksgiving feast, and transforms them into a delicious stock and soup that will keep the leftover party going strong throughout the week.
Any time I have some form of whole poultry (roasted turkey or chicken, or even a rotisserie chicken from Costco will work great), I always save the bones to make stock. It’s so easy to throw the bones in the freezer to save for a lazy Sunday when there’s enough time to boil them in water for hours. I made my turkey stock this weekend with the neck, leg/thigh bones, and wings from my Thanksgiving turkey. The rest of the carcass is currently chilling in my freezer (yes, pun intended) for the next batch.
Making stock is super simple, and the results are always delicious. Just add the bones to a big pot and submerge in water. Add onions, carrots, and celery (no chopping needed!) if you have them. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 3-6 hours, depending on how much you’re making and how flavorful you want the resulting stock to be (longer cooking time means that more of the collagen and connective tissue gets broken down and absorbed into the stock – thus, more flavor. Sounds yummy, right?). After cooking, strain the stock from the bones and veggies, then use, chill, or freeze.
Once you have the stock on hand (boxed or canned stock or broth is a fine replacement!), the soup will come together in a matter of minutes. I definitely recommend making this recipe to help chip away at your Thanksgiving leftovers!
- 6 cups of turkey or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2-4 carrots, diced
- 1 cup of turkey or chicken meat, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup of egg noodles
- 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Turn the stove to medium-high heat, and allow the oil in the pan to warm up slightly.
- Add the diced vegetables to the oil, and stir to combine. Cook the vegetables until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey or chicken stock, stir to combine. Add poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper, and bring the stock to a boil.
- Once boiling, add turkey or chicken meat and egg noodles, stir to combine. Continue to boil the soup over medium high heat until the noodles are fully cooked, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and ladle into bowls.