This recipe is another one of my go-to summer salads, and I got to make it for the first time this year this week! I love it when the seasons change and beautiful peaches and stone fruit begin to appear at the market, along with the year’s first cucumbers and fresh basil. I’ve always loved the motto “if it grows together, it goes together” – which is exactly what this summer salad is all about. Perfectly seasonal, incredibly fresh and bright.
This can be made with any type of peaches or nectarines – all work wonderfully. I had some beautiful white peaches on hand (I’m a big fan), so that’s what I used this time. The feta can be skipped entirely to make this dish completely vegan, although I would add a little extra salt to re-balance the saltiness that the feta brings to the party.
This recipe makes enough for 1 big serving (my lunch) or 2 small side servings. This could scale up beautifully for summer outings or parties, just be sure to cut and add the basil right before serving to prevent browning.
Recipe down below, picture up top! Happy summer, friends!
Peach and Cucumber Salad with Feta and Basil
- 1 white peach, pit removed and cut into large chunks
- 1 medium sized cucumber, cut into thick slices
- 5-10 leaves of fresh basil, sliced thin (chiffonade)
- 1/3 of a cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash, dry, and cut your peach and cucumber into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the feta and olive oil, stir to combine. Taste a cucumber or a peach and add additional salt if necessary, stir to combine.
- Immediately before serving, slice the basil and add to the peaches and cucumbers. Stir to combine.
- The fresh basil will brown quickly after cutting, so best to wait until immediately ready to serve to do this step!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!