I love a warm potato salad, and this one is super easy (3 ingredients, and potatoes are one of them!). This recipe is super simple, with maximum flavor pay-off. I made this as a side to bratwurst night, and it was a total hit! Served alongside with sausages, pickled peppers, roasted cauliflower, and some sauerkraut, this was a fun take on a normal potato side that really brought the flavors of bratwurst night together. Needless to say, this dish paired great with beer, so keep this in mind for any future beer-centered menu planning!
I kept this recipe super simple this time, but it can be dressed up even more if wanted! A little lemon zest or herb here would work very nicely (rosemary, parsley, or thyme would all be great). I ate the leftovers on top of some lettuce for lunch the next day with a simple lemon vinaigrette, and those flavors together were all very nice. This would work well as a side with eggs or salmon – anything hearty that a creamy, buttery, mustardy side feels appropriate.
Recipe down below, photo up top!
Mustardy Potato Salad
- 10-15 small potatoes, halved or quartered
- I used German Butterballs, any small Yukon Gold potatoes would work great
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp salt
- Fill a large sauce pan or pot with water.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly, then cut into halves (quarters if they are a little large – aiming for bite-sized pieces). Add the cut potatoes to the pot of water as you go.
- Add salt to the water with the potatoes, and put the pot on the stove. Bring the water to a full boil over high heat, and continue to boil the potatoes until fully tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are fully tender, drain in a colander over the sink. Shake the colander to remove any excess water, and allow the potatoes to sit in the colander to cool slightly while making the dressing.
- For the dressing, add the butter and mustard to a large bowl. Add the warm potatoes to the bowl and mix to combine, until the butter is fully melted and the potatoes appear creamy and well-coated with mustard.
- Serve warm and enjoy!