We meal-prepped this sandwich for our weekend lunches while we were down in Santa Barbara for the weekend, and let me just say – this sandwich is perfect for summer. Grilled zucchini, mayo, Trader Joe’s Italian Hot Pepper Bomba Sauce, sliced turkey, and toasted whole wheat bread all come together to create a sandwich that is both healthy and satisfying. A little bit of charred flavor from the grilled zucchini matched with a lot of spice from the Bomba sauce create a sandwich that is punchy and exciting to eat with every bite.
I used grilled zucchini here, but any grilled summer squash (yellow crookneck squash, pattypan squash) will all work here! Grill up a big batch of zucchini and save the leftovers for these sandwiches the next day, or be like me and cook some up just for this sandwich alone. I grilled up three small-medium zucchinis that we spread across 4 big sandwiches, which definitely helped make a dent in our summer zucchini pile!
If you don’t have access to a Trader Joe’s or don’t want to commit to buying the Bomba Sauce, you have some substitution options here! Chili crisp would be great in a pinch, or some chopped pickled Calabrian or Pepperoncini peppers would also be tasty subs. If you are lucky enough to have access to a pile of red Calabrian chilis, might I suggest making up a batch of my Marinated Calabrian Chilis and use those as a really great substitution. The Bomba Sauce is made of crushed, fermented Calabrian chilis, which makes it a (very) spicy condiment that is slightly salty, lightly acidic, and full of hot, capsaicin infused pepper oil. To approximate this sauce on your own, use some grilled hot peppers chopped finely, and mix with a drizzle of olive oil and a touch of salt and vinegar.
Recipe down below, photo up top! This recipe is enough for 1 sandwich, so definitely scale up to make enough for what you need!
Turkey Sandwich with Grilled Zucchini and Trader Joe’s Italian Bomba Sauce
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread, toasted
- 3-4 slices of turkey deli meat
- 1 zucchini, sliced and grilled
- 1-2 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Italian Bomba Sauce
- Remove the stem and very bottom end of the zucchini, then slice (lengthwise) into thin strips. Cook until tender over a hot grill (about 5 minutes total), rotating and flipping occasionally to ensure even cooking on both sides. Move to a plate and season with a pinch of salt after grilling. Set aside, or store in the refrigerator until ready to use for this sandwich.
- Toast 2 slices of wheat bread to your desired level of toastiness. On one slice of bread, spread the desired amount of mayo into a thin layer. Use a spoon to add small dollops of Italian Bomba Sauce on top of the mayo, creating little pockets of spice throughout the sandwich.
- Layer the sliced turkey on top of the slice of bread with the mayo and the Bomba sauce. Next, layer the grilled zucchini on top of the turkey.
- Top the sandwich with the second slice of toasted bread. Press down firmly to allow the sandwich to compress together.
- Take a big bite and enjoy!
This recipe was not sponsored by Trader Joe’s or by their Bomba Sauce. Just some advice on how to use it from a fan!