Nothing says summer like an abundance of cucumbers, and this sandwich really warmed me up for the season. If all goes according to plan, we should be getting lots of cucumbers from both our garden and our CSA for the year, and if that happens, I can’t wait to make this sandwich on repeat. Creamy, filling, and full of veggies – this sandwich is it.
My boyfriend introduced me to the concept of a cucumber sandwich when we first started dating, and I’ve grown to really enjoy them every summer. They can be as simple as some cucumbers on toast with some mayo, or sometimes we go deluxe and add some bacon and tomato for the BLT treatment. They’re the perfect summer treat, relatively light and healthy, and a perfect way to use up some abundant produce.
This version was inspired by some fresh scallions that showed up in my CSA, along with a stash of ripe avocados that were ready to be eaten. Combined with the mayo, the scallions made a nice ranch-y sauce that was absolutely delightful, and the avocado added extra decadence and healthy fat that put this sandwich over the edge. Served on toasted bread, this sandwich has all the textures and flavors – crunchy cucumbers, toasty whole wheat, creamy onion-y dressing, and fatty avocados. Swap the mayo for Greek yogurt for more protein or for a fully plant-based alternative to make this sandwich completely vegan. It’s a really awesome sandwich, and I hope it makes it into your summer rotation!
Recipe down below, photos up top and below! This recipe is enough to make 1 sandwich, so feel free to scale up for a crowd!
The Ultimate Cucumber Sandwich
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- ½ cup cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- About 10-15 thinly sliced cucumbers
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Toast the two slices of bread to the degree of toast that you like. Once toasted, allow to cool slightly before building the sandwich.
- While the bread is toasting and cooling, slice the cucumber, avocado, and roughly chop the white part of a scallion.
- When ready to assemble, start with one piece of bread. Spread with mayo, then sprinkle with a layer of the chopped scallions. Season with a small sprinkle of salt.
- On top of the mayo layer, add a nice layer of the thinly sliced cucumbers. Season cucumbers with another small sprinkle of salt.
- Add the sliced avocado on top of the cucumber layer, then drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Add the top piece of bread and firmly press down to get the sandwich to stick together.
- Take a big bite and enjoy!