This recipe makes use of three Badger Flame Beets that I got to try out recently! I included them raw in this application, but they could easily be swapped for any roasted beets (golden beets would look extra pretty here)! The dressing is a full batch of my Fennel Lemon Pesto, which pairs nicely with the sweet flavors of the beets and the earthy, beany notes of the lentils.
I’ve been eating this salad all week on its own for lunches and served with salmon for dinners (it makes a lot!). This would also pair nicely with cheeses (feta added directly would be great) or hard boiled eggs for added protein. This salad is excellent because it’s packed with plant protein from the lentils, vitamin packed from the beets, and a great option for meal-prep as this lasted us about 4 meals and held up well in the fridge. It’s a great springtime salad while beets and fennel are in season, so give it a try!
Recipe down below, picture up top!
Beet and Lentil Salad with Lemon Fennel Dressing
- 3 Badger Flame Beets (sub with 4-6 golden beets, roasted), cubed
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 batch of Fennel Lemon Pesto (click on the link to access that recipe!)
- 1 whole lemon (zest and juice)
- Fennel fronds from 1 head of fennel
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel any skin from the beets that appears dirty or rough, and chop beets into ¼ inch dice.
- Place diced beets into a large bowl. Add cooked lentils and fennel lemon pesto, stir to combine.