I’ve had this lunch in mind for a couple days now, and when it finally came to fruition it exceeded my expectations. Think of this as the ultimate green salad, full of super healthy sautéed greens, topped with a big swoosh of zesty salsa verde, and loaded with some creamy chunks of avocado. This salad has contrast of warm and cold, creamy and tangy, spicy and garlic-y, everything that you could want in a midday break. It involves some prep in terms of making the Avocado Salsa Verde ahead of time, but once it’s on hand, you are set for a few days worth of culinary adventures!
This work from home lunch follows my usual protocol, where there is some cooking and prep involved to help break up the day and give myself some time away from my desk/kitchen table, but nothing too elaborate that will make a giant mess in the kitchen and take two hours. Relatively quick and easy with a little bit of effort, this lunch can be made and eaten in a half hour or so and will only dirty a cutting board, knife, sauté pan, and the plate and fork you use to eat it.
Recipe down below, photo up top! This recipe makes enough for one big lunch salad. Feel free to scale up for a big dinner side if necessary.
Greens and Avocados with Salsa Verde
- ¼ cup Avocado Salsa Verde
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ¼ tsp salt
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Add the olive oil to a large sauté pan, and warm up over medium high heat for about 30 seconds. Add the garlic to the oil and stir to combine. Cook until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach to the pan, and carefully toss to begin to bring the garlic up from the bottom of the pan (to prevent burning). Cook over medium high heat until spinach is fully wilted, about 3 minutes. Once the spinach is cooked, transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Drizzle the salsa verde over the cooked spinach, and top with the cubed avocado.
- Grab a fork and enjoy!