We were in a sweet potato mood at the Farmer’s Market last week, and we whipped up a big batch of sweet potato fries to munch on during our last Trivia night. We also had a beautiful bundle of small, locally grown carrots from my last CSA box that we chopped up into fry shape and added to the mix. The pile of orange, baked veggies was the perfect snacking dinner, served with our Creamy Parsley and Garlic Pesto.
This recipe is a great way to sneak some veggies into your diet without feeling *too* healthy. I added some almond flour to the coating for a little extra protein and nuttiness, which helped bulk these fries up a bit and made them a filling dinner. Because this recipe is totally vegan, the extra plant-based protein and fat from the almond flour was a welcome addition. It also added a little crispy-crunchiness too, which was fun! If you have a nut allergen, feel free to go without the almond flour, and your fries will still be tasty!
Because I served these with a super flavorful dip, I didn’t add any extra flavors to the coating – but you totally can if you’re feeling inspired! Garlic and/or onion powder, paprika, or your favorite seasoning blends (my current obsession – my Sweet Italian Seasoning) would all be really great here! Customize these to make them your own!
Recipe down below, along with pictures!
Sweet Potato and Carrot Fries
- 6 small sweet potatoes (sub for 3 large)
- 12 small carrots (sub for 6 medium, or 3 large)
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the sweet potatoes and the carrots to ensure all excess dirt and sand have been removed.
- For the sweet potatoes, cut into sticks approximately 4 inches in length and ½ inch thick. Place chopped sweet potatoes in a large bowl, set aside.
- Depending on carrot size, remove tops and tips and slice in half (if small) or sticks in similar shape/size of the sweet potatoes. Add to the large bowl with the sweet potatoes once chopped.
- Add the almond flour, salt, and olive oil to the sweet potato and carrot sticks. Toss to thoroughly combine and ensure that each piece of sweet potato and carrot sticks are fully coated in the almond flour and oil.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with foil (for crispier results) or a Silpat (softer results). Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake at 400F for 45 minutes, until the sweet potatoes and carrots have fully browned and become tender on the inside.
- After baking, use a spatula or tongs to transfer the baked fries to a plate or serving platter. Serve with dips of choice and enjoy!