I made this delightfully nourishing salad for lunch today, and couldn’t wait to hop on here and share the recipe. This salad came together quickly with some leftover hummus from a previous take-out dinner and a stockpile of my last batch of meal-prepped eggplants from my very productive plant. This salad is healthy and filling, fresh and creamy, and has all of the satisfying flavor notes that I need in a lunch.
If you don’t have all of the ingredients listed in the recipe below, here are some good swaps to make an awesome version of this with what you have on hand:
- Salad Greens: Any mix will do! Arugula, baby spinach, or baby kale are all good subs if you don’t have any lettuce or salad mixes on hand.
- Fresh Tomatoes: Swap with sundried or replace with your favorite olives.
- Grilled Eggplant: Swap with baba ghanoush or skip entirely. The salad will still be good without it! If you want to make a batch of my grilled eggplant to fully make this recipe, follow the link to that recipe here!
- Hummus: Canned chickpeas, crispy chickpeas, or falafel would all be awesome replacements. Any canned bean would work here as a protein source, this salad is not chickpea exclusive. Drizzle a little extra tahini over the top for that creamy, hummus-y vibe, if you have it. No beans or not a bean fan? Use feta cheese instead!
- Balsamic Vinegar: Rice wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or a squeeze of lemon would all work great!
Serve this salad as is for a light lunch, or pair with a pita or flatbread for a more filling meal. Top with additional protein sources (chicken or steak would be great here, or add some feta) to make this a great dinner salad.
Recipe down below, photo up top! I ate this all as one big serving of salad, so feel free to scale up for additional servings!
Mediterranean Salad with Grilled Eggplant and Hummus
- 1 ½ cups of salad greens
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 grilled eggplants, or about ½ of a cup (diced)
- ⅓ cup of hummus
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of flakey (Maldon) salt, or any salt
- Add salad greens (washed and dried, if necessary) to a plate or to-go lunch container.
- Wash and dry cherry tomatoes, and slice each tomato in half. Add tomato halves to the salad on top of the lettuce.
- Chop grilled eggplant into large, bite-sized pieces. Add eggplant pieces on top of the lettuce in the salad.
- Place the hummus in the center of the salad, on top of the lettuce.
- Drizzle the entire salad with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with salt.
- Grab a fork and enjoy!