Upon receiving my latest CSA full of root veggies like Easter egg radishes, baby turnips, and baby beets, I set out to make a full sheet pan full of delicious roasted root veggies. If you are like me and don’t love the flavor of raw turnips or radishes, roasting is an excellent application to help bring out the sweetness and reduce the sharp, horseradish notes of these vegetables. I filled up my sheet pan with all of my veggies and added some potatoes, and was well on the way to have a nice dinner side and salad toppers for a couple of days after.
This recipe worked really well with my baby turnips because they are already small and tender, so I only needed to cut the bigger ones in half. If you have bigger veggies, don’t fear! Just cut them into bite-sized chunks as you would with a potato, they will still roast up perfectly. The key to success here is to chop everything into similar sized pieces so that the items cook through evenly – smaller pieces will cook faster (and potentially can over-cook/burn) than bigger chunks, which take a while to become tender.
Recipe down below, along with photos! I paired my leftovers in a delightful salad along with my arugula pesto – be sure to keep an eye out for this recipe in my next post!
Roasted Root Veggies
- 10-20 baby turnips, halved
- 4-6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 10-20 radishes, halved
- 6-10 baby beets, halved
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Remove root veggies from any stems or leaves, and wash very thoroughly under cold water to remove any remaining dirt or sand. Drain thoroughly in a colander.
- Slice the radishes, baby turnips, and baby beets in half. If working with larger root vegetables, cut into large, bite-sized dice of similar size.
- Cut the potatoes into large, bite sized dice of similar size.
- Arrange the chopped veggies and potatoes into a single layer on a baking tray. Drizzle the entire tray of veggies with olive oil, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 375F until veggies and potatoes are fully tender and beginning to brown, approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Once fully cooked through, remove from the oven and serve!